Sunday, January 28, 2007

Golden Squash Soup


Okay, I promised you all, that this will be the last recipe entry for this weekend ;) Basically, after cooking curries for 2 straight nights, I feel kinda guilty and wanted to redeem myself, by cooking something healthy =) Found this great website which promotes healthy eating and as a side to the Thai green curry, I also cooked this golden squash soup ;)

I didn't use many of the spices mentioned in the original recipe, I found that the squash (labu kuning in Indonesia?) was naturally sweet.

So my version of the golden squash soup:

1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes (the squash was really hard to peel, what an exercise! My friend mocked that it's "healthy" because of the exercise we do when peeling and cutting the fruit!)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
200 g coconut milk (from can)

- Saute onion and garlic, then add the broth and the squash pieces. Cook uncovered for about 15 minutes until the squash is soft (and I mean, soft! Semi pulpy)

- Leave it to cool for around 5 mins

- Place some of the squash and broth into a blender, add a little bit of coconut milk and blend until smooth. Repeat til you've blended all the squash and broth in the pan.



- Bring back to a stove to reheat, and garnish with a sprig of mint/cilantro/coriander leaf.

=)

This soup is an excellent source of Vit A, C, manganate, and also a good source of fiber (one serving of it gives 20% of DV).

No comments:

Post a Comment